In the summer of 2009 James Pilachowski, Sam Townsend, and Aaron Smith decided to protest their entry into the real world with a bike trip across America. This is their story.

Check out where we are now!


View The Real Life Protest Tour 2009 in a larger map

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

James Day 42 - Richmond Va

I woke up at Doug's place at around noon, and got on the road about 2:00. I was tired. Thanks again to Doug for letting me crash there, I appreciate it.

Let me pause here and say that I stayed with Doug Friesema in Charlottesville, and I am staying with my other friend Doug Scott in Richmond. From here on when I say Doug I am referring to the latter.

Back in the spring one of my training rides was to bike to Doug's place in Richmond so we could go to a gun show. It was sweet, and this coming weekend we will be firing that gun in the woods at inanimate objects. This gave me a unique opportunity to compare my fitness level now with what it was before the trip, because I would be biking the exact same route. I will say that I am in much better biking shape now (obviously). It took me less time to get there than the first trip, and when I arrived I wasn't completely worn out. It's nice to have evidence of physical benefit from the trip.

Doug was kind enough to cook me a tasty dinner of spaghetti and meatballs, which I washed down with a tall, cool glass of HBO on demand. If I had access to Entourage (an HBO original series that must have been created by Jesus himself) all the time, I would never get anything done. It is the best show ever. Doug and Kay (his girlfriend and also my friend from Roanoke) went to the gym, but I declined and instead stayed and watched more TV. It's good that I'm almost done because if I had more than 1 day left, I might just stay here for a week or so. I am currently enjoying internet access to update this blog and check facebook every 5 minutes.

Tomorrow I will be arriving around noonish in Yorktown, where I will get some food with Mike Awesome before starting my return journey to Richmond and then Roanoke. I'll be posting a joyous announcement via iPhone once I reach the beach. I'll also provide a picture so you know I'm not just making it up.

62 miles to go.

1 comment:

  1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clothing-optional_bike_rides

    ReplyDelete