In the summer of 2009 James Pilachowski, Sam Townsend, and Aaron Smith decided to protest their entry into the real world with a bike trip across America. This is their story.

Check out where we are now!


View The Real Life Protest Tour 2009 in a larger map

Friday, June 26, 2009

James Days 35 & 36 - Lousiville & Lexington, KY

The past two days I have had good motivation, as there were houses, showers, and beds waiting for me at the end. The heat has also calmed down a bit, it's now in the upper 80s instead of the upper 90s.

About an hour after leaving Haubstadt, I started running into bikers going the other way. There were probably about 100 of them spread out over the next 30 miles. I talked with some at a gas station, and they were with TRIRI (Tour Riding In Rural Indiana). It's a group thy organizes multi day tours through parts of Indiana, providing places to stay, meals, and other bikers to go with. They didn't have to carry anything on their bikes, though.

Later, after lunch, for the first time on the trip, I was truly scared I was going to be hit by a car. I found out later that there was some sort of delay on 64 East, which meant eveyone got off and drove down the single lane road I was biking on. I had tractor trailers passing me with inches to spare, while cars and truck were compng the other direction. And there were no shoulders. There was a creek to one side and a rock wall on the other. It sucked in a big way. This was all but forgotten later at Andy's house. Shower, clean clothes, good food, and a nice bed can do wonders.

The next day was really nice. Rolling countryside, sunny, and only 70 miles to Bob's place. I passed bikers again, this time it was Bike And Build people. Weak. If I had been biking for over 20 days and was only in Kentucky, I would be really depressed.

I had another great dinner, courtesy of Bob's mom. Since it was the opening night of the new Transformers movie, we went to see that later in the evening. I loved it, but it may have been because Megan Fox was in it, I don't know. Two nights with a bed have spoiled me, the next couple days will be a pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment