In the summer of 2009 James Pilachowski, Sam Townsend, and Aaron Smith decided to protest their entry into the real world with a bike trip across America. This is their story.

Check out where we are now!


View The Real Life Protest Tour 2009 in a larger map

Friday, June 26, 2009

James Days 37 & 38 - Salyersville, KY & Richlands, VA

I left Bob's place without much enthusiasm, as I go longer had home cooked meals and soft beds ahead of me. The day was nice again though, which helped motivate me.

While originally I had planned to go to Prestonsburg, this was not deemed acceptable by the weather gods. About 40 miles out, I stopped at a gas station and was pinnned down by a severe thunderstorm for over an hour and a half (hail, lightning, etc.). Finally the lightning died down and I biked 20 miles to Salyersville, but didn't have enough daylight left to get to Prestonsburg. The icing on the cake was when the power went out on the block with all the fast food and gas stations, meaning I couldn't buy anything because all I had was a debit card.

The next morning I slept in a little (past 7:00) but again had a pleasent day to greet me. I made it past Prestonsburg, an soon was greeted by a glorious 'welcome to Virginia' sign. It feels amazing to be back in my home state, and finally I feel like the end is in sight. I felt so good that I made it the 115 or so miles to Rochlands, Va, which had been my goal after Prestonsburg anyway. When I got to the park in town I met a couple families that were having a picnic, and they gave me half a pizza, a 2 liter of coke, ad a bag of ice. It felt like Homecoming.

This is also the last night I'll be camping out. My schedule is as follows:
Saturday 27th: Blacksburg (Ben and Matt)
Sunday 28th: Roanoke (my house)
Monday 29th: Charlottesville (if you're in town holla at me)
Tuesday 30th: Richmond (Doug)
Wednesday 1st: Yorktown

After I arrive in Yorktown I will be turning around and biking back towards Richmond, and Doug will give me a ride to Roanoke. Then I will celebrate our nation's birth by getting rowdy over the 4th weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment